Friday, February 20, 2009

Weeds

My favorite show at the moment is Weeds. Not many people watch nor have heard of Weeds because it is on Sho Time, which is a channel that one has to order. Weeds features your what seems like a typical suburban housewife, Nancy Botwin (Mary Louise Parker), but the catch is that she is a marijuana dealer. Her husband has recently passed away and to provide for her family, she takes on this risky job. Nancy encounters DEA agents, fierce Mexican drug lords and ghetto gangsters. Nancy is joined by a colorful cast of characters including her two sons, Silas and Shane, her brother in law, Andy, the outrageously funny town councilman, Doug and the bitchy suburban mom, Celia. This dark comedy takes serious subjects like drugs and sex but puts a humorous edge on them.

I particularly enjoy the music in Weeds. Every song that is played in throughout an episode directly reflects what is going on in the episode. All the songs in the show are completely unique, I think there has only been one song in the show that I have actually recognized. It provides me with great new music that I can download and listen to. Another aspect of the show that I love are the characters. All the characters are so alive and real. They are people that you would easily find out on the street and this makes them very relatable, unlike characters on shows such as Desperate Housewives. Speaking of Desperate Housewives, I am also a huge fan and never would I have dreamed to find a better show than it. Weeds totally changed my views. The story lines and characters are so rich and interlaced with humor, it puts Desperate Housewives to shame. Weeds and Desperate Housewives are quite similar, Weeds is just a lot more raunchy and in my opinion, a whole lot more entertaining.

1 comment:

  1. I have never seen the show Weeds, but have only heard really good things about it. I will be sure to give it a chance

    ReplyDelete